Have you ever noticed how interchangeable the inspirational quotes of different visionary leaders are? As two of history’s most inspirational figures, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Donald Trump have no shortage of such quotes. Here’s a quiz I made where you can try to figure out which of the two leaders said what. Trust me: most of you will only get a few of these right!
1. “I’m here to say to you this morning that some things are right and some things are wrong. Eternally so, absolutely so. It’s wrong to hate. It always has been wrong and it always will be wrong. It’s wrong in America, it’s wrong in Germany, it’s wrong in Russia, it’s wrong in China. It was wrong in 2000 B.C., and it’s wrong in 1954 A.D. It always has been wrong, and it always will be wrong.”Trump or MLK?
2. “Must be a pretty picture, you dropping to your knees.”Trump or MLK?
Comment to Brande Roderick on The Celebrity Apprentice, air date March 3rd, 2013
3. “The real problem is that through our scientific genius we’ve made of the world a neighborhood, but through our moral and spiritual genius we’ve failed to make of it a brotherhood.”Trump or MLK?
4. “But we’re fighting a very politically correct war. And the other thing is with the terrorists, you have to take out their families. When you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families. They care about their lives, don’t kid yourself. But they say they don’t care about their lives. You have to take out their families.”Trump or MLK?
5. “If you have weapons, take them home; if you do not have them, please do not seek to get them. We cannot solve this problem through retaliatory violence.”Trump or MLK?
King said this to an anxious crowd outside his home after a bomb was thrown onto his front porch where it exploded. His wife and infant daughter were home at the time. January 30th, 1956
6. “We are not wrong, we are not wrong in what we are doing. If we are wrong, the Supreme Court of this nation is wrong. If we are wrong, the Constitution of the United States is wrong. And if we are wrong, God Almighty is wrong. If we are wrong, Jesus of Nazareth was merely a utopian dreamer that never came down to Earth. If we are wrong, justice is a lie, love has no meaning. And we are determined here in Montgomery to work and fight until ‘justice runs down like water, and righteousness like a mighty stream.’ ”Trump or MLK?
7. “I did try and fuck her. She was married.”Trump or MLK?
8. “Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.”Trump or MLK?
9. “You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful women â€” I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything.”Trump or MLK?
10. “Hate is just as injurious to the person who hates. Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity.”Trump or MLK?
11. “Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?”Trump or MLK?
12. “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”Trump or MLK?
13. “Would I approve waterboarding? You bet your ass I would â€” in a heartbeat. And I would approve more than that. Don’t kid yourself, folks. It works, okay? It works. Only a stupid person would say it doesn’t work…. Believe me, it works. And you know what? If it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway, for what they’re doing.”Trump or MLK?
14. “Men, for years now, have been talking about war and peace. But now, no longer can they just talk about it. It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence in this world; it’s nonviolence or nonexistence.”Trump or MLK?
15. “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. Theyâ€™re not sending you. Theyâ€™re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”Trump or MLK?
16. “I am deeply moved by your courage in fasting as your personal sacrifice for justice through nonviolence. Your past and present commitment is eloquent testimony to the constructive power of nonviolent action and the destructive impotence of violent reprisal. You stand today as a living example of the Ghandian tradition with its great force for social progress and its healing spiritual powers.”Trump or MLK?
17. “Wow! Just think â€” in a couple of years, I’ll be dating you.”Trump or MLK?
18. “An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that @BarackObama’s birth certificate is a fraud.”Trump or MLK?
If you guessed Trump, you’re right! If you’re wondering why “extremely credible source” is in quotation marks, you’re not alone. (We also shouldn’t spend too much time wondering why they are single quotation marks.)